Shabti are an artificial race of magically created humanoids native to the Great Beyond cosmology of Pathfinder. They take their name from small clay statues of slaves and workers that were placed in the tombs of wealthy Egyptians, in the belief that these would become tireless workers for their owner's spirit in the afterlife. These shabti have a similar purpose; created through the use of a powerful magical device known as a Sovereign Shabti, each shabti is an artifical replica of a humanoid's soul, crafted for the express purpose of taking that individual's place in the afterlife due to fears that their misdeeds in life may condemn them to penance or suffering as a result. If this is the case, the shabti's soul appears on that plane, ready to take their look-alike's fate, whilst that creator instead slips away to respite. Otherwise, the shabti just comes into being on the plane of Axis.
Shabti resemble attractive humans (because, y'know, it's presumed humans make and use them) with regal bearing and metallic golden skin - however, they are considered Native Outsiders rather than, say, Living Constructs, and so their bodies are flesh and blood, despite their artificial nature. They are, however, sterile; their existence as something between mortal souls, fabricated beings, and true children of the planes makes them incapable of true primogeniture. For obvious reasons, they don't really have a society to call their own, either; shabti come into being at the only age they'll ever be (and most are adults), with glimpses of a privileged life, but know nothing of the magic that spawned them or the burden they have to bear - they legitimately believe that they are the dead nobles whose visages they bear, and even have all the requisite memories. In the face of their torment or labour, they prove initially indignant, then distraught. When they discover their true nature, some deny it and live as if their memories were real, while others fall into depression or insanity, and yet others embrace their new-found freedom. Some choose to distance themselves from the sovereign shabti and take family names, commonly Crown or Answerer.
Many shabti learn about their true nature from psychopomps, who constantly seek them out. Upon finding a shabti, a psychopomp will immediately release them from punishments and use their memories to bring their creator to justice, as their mistress Pharasma despises attempts to avoid judgement. Most shabti can be found on Axis, as well as Dis, Heaven's Shore, and the City of Brass to a lesser degree. Even in these places, they are rare and seldom gather in groups greater than three. On the Material Plane, shabti are practically unknown and usually mistaken as ifrits or aasimars.
The shabti race appeared in the adventure module "Pyramid of the Sky Pharoah", the last part of the Egyptian-themed Adventure Path "Mummy's Mask". They would reappear in the Pathfinder Bestiary 5.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Shabti have powerful bodies and presences to match. They gain +2 Constitution and +2 Charisma.
- Type: Shabti are outsiders with the native subtype.
- Size: Shabti are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Shabti have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Shabti begin play speaking Common. Those with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Darkvision: Shabti can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Immortal (1 RP): Shabti do not age naturally and cannot die of old age. While some might come into being at age categories other than adulthood, they never leave their original age category. Spells and effects that cause aging affect a shabti as normal.
- Immune to Undeath (1 RP): Shabti can’t become undead. Spells and abilities that would transform a shabti into an undead creature have no effect.
- Resist Level Drain (1 RP): A shabti takes no penalties from energy drain effects, though he can still be killed if he accrues more negative levels than he has Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels a shabti takes are automatically removed without the need for an additional saving throw.
- Past Life Knowledge (2 RP): Shabti remember bits of their past lives. As a result, they treat all Knowledge skills as class skills.
- Shattered Soul (–1 RP): Shabti who are killed are exceptionally difficult to return to life. Those who attempt to return a shabti to life using raise dead, resurrection, or similar spells must succeed at a caster level check equal to 10 + the shabti’s Hit Dice. If this check fails, the spell fails and the caster can’t return the shabti to life for the next 24 hours (though the caster can try again after this period).
- Spell-Like Ability (3 RP): Shabti can use suggestion once per day as a spell-like ability, with the caster level equal to the shabti’s class level.
Alternate Racial TraitsEdit
Blank Slate: Some shabti are bereft of memories of their past lives but can accomplish great improvisations. Shabti with this racial trait can, once per day as a free action, treat any skill as though they had a number of ranks equal to half of their character levels for one skill check (minimum 1 rank). This racial trait replaces past life knowledge.
Facsimile: A few shabti are made with such skill they are nearly perfect copies of a mortal. Shabti with this racial trait appear to be human, save perhaps for minor features like unusual skin color. They count as humanoid (human) as well as outsider (native) for all purposes (such as humanoid-affecting spells like charm person). This racial trait replaces immune to undeath and alters the native subtype.
Pharaonic Will: Rather than working to influence others, some shabti focus inward. Once per day as an immediate action after failing a save against a charm, compulsion, or fear effect, a shabti with this racial trait can reroll the save with a +2 racial bonus. This racial trait replaces spell-like ability.
Soul Sympathy: Crafted to suffer punishments intended for their masters, some shabti can use this mortal connection to serve as reciprocal conduits. As an immediate action after being afflicted by temporary negative levels, a shabti with this racial trait can force the creature that inflicted the negative levels to suffer the same cumulative penalties, hit point loss, and caster level reduction. The shabti can use this ability only on an enemy within 60 feet and can share penalties with only one creature at a time. The shabti can sever this link as a free action. This racial trait replaces resist level drain.
|The Races of Pathfinder|
|Player's Handbook:||Dwarf - Elf - Gnome - Half-Elf - Half-Orc - Halfling - Human|
| Aasimar - Catfolk - Changeling - Dhampir - Duergar |
Drow - Fetchling - Gillman - Goblin - Grippli - Hobgoblin
Ifrit - Kitsune - Kobold - Merfolk - Nagaji - Orc - Oread
Ratfolk - Samsaran - Strix - Suli - Svirfneblin - Sylph
Tengu - Tiefling - Undine - Vanara - Vishkanya - Wayang
|Bestiaries:|| Android - Astomoi - Caligni - Deep One Hybrid - Gathlain |
Gnoll - Kasatha - Munavri - Naiad - Orang-Pendak
Reptoid - Rougarou - Shabti - Trox - Yaddithian
|Adventure Paths:||Being of Ib - Kuru|
|Inner Sea Races:|| Ghoran - Monkey Goblin - Lashunta - Skinwalker |
Syrinx - Triaxian - Wyrwood - Wyvaran
|Ultimate Wilderness:||Vine Leshy|
|Blood of the Sea:||Adaro - Cecaelia - Grindylow - Locathah - Sahuagin - Triton|
|Planar Adventures:||Aphorite - Duskwalker - Ganzi|