Crypteks are the Necrons' equivalent of wizards, although their powers come from an extremely advanced understanding of science, rather than magic
(their name comes from "crypt" + "technology"... I know it makes us sad too). The word you are looking for here is "cryptic". 'Cryptek' is actually the ancient Necrontyr word for nerd. Nerd is a Terran word from the 21st century, with synonyms like "everyone who has commented on this thread." And so the cycle of the evolution of diction continues...Just as Planned.
wizards nerds, they tended to isolate themselves from the affairs of their fellow Necrontyr, and this has remained the case after being upgraded into Necrons (and the feeling is mutual — most nobles aren't very interested in how their technology works, so they leave the Crypteks in peace, much the same way the popular kids show little interest when they see you playing with dice and little figurines that the spergiest among you flips out over anyone touching). Those that do associate with others generally do so for patronage DKP — they join the royal court of an Overlord or Phaeron and lend their powers and advice in exchange for a first pick of the spoils of war, rare technology, or other favors. Of course, while Crypteks usually don't bother with the political affairs of the noble courts, they are always busy with their own inter-academic rivalries and the struggles of organizing DnD groups when your character sheet needs to be engraved on a 30ft obelisk.
Crypteks specialize in one of several disciplines to focus their studies and gain more powerful tools.
- Harbingers of Despair or "psychomancers" are all about manipulating minds, mostly causing fear.
- Harbingers of Destruction or "plasmancers" shoot fire and light to wreck things.
- Harbingers of Eternity or "chronomancers" play tricks with time -- speeding it up, slowing it down, shifting people into or out of phase with it, or even (in the case of Orikan the Diviner) running it backwards.
- Harbingers of the Storm or "ethermancers" control the air and weather, and in battle, they call down the lightning.
- Harbingers of Transmogrification or "geomancers" are rather like alchemists -- they can transmute matter from one form into another, or animate it temporarily (which is good for causing earthquakes). Somehow they are able to rock your armor off, OW YEAH!!!!
- Astromancers read the patterns and movement of the stars to predict the future. Don't ask me how it works.
- Biomancers are the guys who do experiments on organic races.
- Technomandrites are the most advanced and knowledgeable of the Crypteks, and designed practically all of the Necron tech that's currently in use. They were banished by the Silent King because he feared their power, but they were released from exile by special anti-Chaos protocols after the opening of the Great Rift.
There are other disciplines, but the first five are the only ones who go to battle on a regular basis.
And then the 7th struck. Taking away this glorious collection of stuff and gear we were introduced to the HQ that now (for some fun reason) costs the same as a 5th lord with a res orb. And fun fact: it is giving them +1 to their Reanimation. Now that would not be so bad were it not for the T4 and the 4+ save...
Still as an HQ if you dont have the points to make a reclamation legion you should take this guy and just simply stick him to the most important unit (that would be Immortals or a huge group of Warriors) should keep them alive.
Can take a little thing that gives you a 5++ against shooting.
- Orikan the Diviner, an astromancer with some expertise in chronomancy.
- Illuminor Szeras, a spider-bodied plasmancer who has taken up vivisection as a hobby.
- Zaa of Tomorrow, astromancer and faithful sidekick.
|Forces of the Necrons|
|Command:||Cryptek - Destroyer Lord - Necron Lord - Necron Overlord - Phaeron|
|Troops:|| C'tan Shards - Deathmarks - Flayed Ones - Immortals |
Lychguards - Necron Warriors - Triarch Praetorians
|Constructs:|| Canoptek Spyder - Canoptek Wraith - Crypt Stalker |
Scarab - Tomb Sentinel - Tomb Stalker - Seraptek Heavy Construct
|Vehicles:|| Annihilation Barge - Catacomb Command Barge - Doomsday Ark |
Ghost Ark - Monolith - Sentry Pylon - Triarch Stalker - Tesseract Ark
|Flyers:|| Canoptek Acanthrite - Doom Scythe - Heavy Destroyers |
Necron Destroyers - Night Scythe - Night Shroud - Tomb Blades
| Abattoir - Æonic Orb - Doomsday Monolith - Megalith |
Necron Pylon - Obelisk - Tesseract Vault