The Charduni are a Dwarf race native to the Scarred Lands setting for Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition. Worshippers of the God of Conquest, Chardun, they are denizens of the continent of Termana whose empire invaded the southwestern regions of the continent of Ghelspad during the Divine War. Ironically, this made them into unwitting saviors; that particular region of Ghelspad was home to the empire of one of the Titanspawn races, the Asaatthi, and they didn't take kindly to a bunch of uppity dwarves trying to invade their territory. This kept the asaatthi out of the Divine War as they battled the Charduni, a private war that ended with both races exhausting themselves and effectively collapsing their empires - the Termana branch of the Charduni is in better shape, but it's still struggling.
In fact, it's believed that Chardun created the Charduni as his perfect slave soldiers, a mockery of the original dwarves of Ghelspad, but also that he has abandoned them in recent years due to one small fact: the same obedience he bred into them in order to ensure they would be his loyal slaves also means they struggle with thinking independently, which is part of the reason why their empire is in such bad condition.
Charduni are arguably the Scarred Lands equivalent of Duergar, being the "Evil Dark Dwarf" race. However, many of their traits, such as coloration (they're born a sickly gray and darken to increasingly deep blacks as they age), their practice of slavery, their strangely sexy women, and their cultural tradition of necromancy, actually makes them more like a dwarven version of Drow.
In 3rd edition, Charduni had the following racial profile:
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
- Base speed 20 feet
- Darkvision 90 feet
- Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus on checks to notice unusual stonework, including things disguised as stone, always considered to be actively searching for uinusual stonework that is within 10 feet, can use Search to find stonework-based traps as if they were a Rogue, can always intuit depth underground.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against posion & disease.
- +1 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
- +2 dodge bonus to AC against Huge or bigger opponents.
- +2 racial bonus to Profession (Mining) checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise & Craft checks relating to stone or metal.
- Skin of Rock: +1 natural armor bonus at 40 years old, with a further +1 every 40 years, maxing out at +6 at 240 years old. A natural armor bonus of +4 or high gives a charduni a Level Adjustment of +1.
- Favored Class: Cleric and Fighter
In 5th edition, Charduni are a dwarf subrace with the following unique traits:
- Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
- Charduni Combat Training: You have Proficiency in the light hammer, warhammer, warscepter, and spiked chain.
- Dense Flesh: Your maximum hit points increase by +1, and are increased by +1 each time you gain a level.