A campaign setting that revolves around noble birth and political intrigue.
Nobles and most players in this setting are "descendants" of dead deities and their divine bloodlines can give them awesome abilities (or totally useless ones if they are unlucky). Also their blood ties them to the land in which they rule by some sort of "strange magicks" so if they are successful rulers they can increase the strength of their bloodlines.
The game also features rules for managing your domains (lands, temples, guilds etc.) and also for large scale battles. The battle system is a simplified version of other wargames and it uses cards. (hey! they are cheaper than miniatures!)
The game is set in the world of Aebrynis, specifically on a continent named Cerilia. There is only one plane linked to this world and that is a darker version of the reality called Shadow World.
Humans in the Birthright setting can come from 5 different cultures, thus adding a bit more personality (and stat bonuses) to your characters. They are:
- Anuireans, a culture based on the English and French during the 100 years war.
- Brecht, culture based on the Hanseatic League.
- Khinasi, culture loosely based on the Moors.
- Rjurik, a culture based on a mixture of medieval Scandinavian and Celtic peoples.
- Vos, culture based on Dark Ages Rus.
Playable Non-Human RacesEdit
- Elves - Sidhelien as they call themselves. They are often at odds with humans and other cultures due to past history. They are magical creatures related to the Fey.
- Halflings - Originally hailing from a parallel world, they live amongst other humans, often hiding their origin.
- Dwarves - Strong but isolated, the dwarves
Non-Playable Non-Human RacesEdit
- Goblins - Smarter than the average goblins. They even have their own states.
- Orog - Ancient enemies of the surface races and dwarves.
- Awnsheghlien - Not really a race. They are creatures who once were scions of the tainted Azrai bloodline and the evil workings of that corruption turned them into truly powerful monsters, the strongest of which run whole kingdoms.
- Ehrsheghlien - Similar to the awnsheghlien, but derived from bloodlines other than Azrai.
The seven old gods died in a big battle at a place called Deismaar, and their power were transferred to warriors at the battle. The luckiest became the new gods and the others got to be scions of the different bloodlines. One bloodline was spawned for each of the perished gods and they grant powers according to the god it once belonged to.
The seven bloodlines are the following:
- Azrai - the god of darkness and deception and evil, the other gods sacrificed themselves to destroy him.
- Anduiras - patron of Anuireans, he was the god of Law and Justice.
- Brenna - patron of the Brecht, the goddess of commerce and fortune.
- Basaïa - patron of Khinasi, goddess of light and reason.
- Masela - patron of the now extinct Masetians, she was the goddess of the sea.
- Reynir - patron of Rjuven, god of the hunt and nature.
- Vorynn - the god of magic and former patron of the Vos, but they left him for Azrai.
The system mostly uses the standard aD&D classes, with a few exceptions
- Bard: they can only learn illusion, divination and enchantment/charm spells.
- Druid: they have some special powers, like move silently. Technically they are special priests of a god called Erik.
- Magician: an illusion, divination specialist mage. They can only cast 1st and 2nd level spells from other schools. Storywise they can't access true magic because they are not scions of a bloodline.
- Wizard: only blooded characters can become wizards, who are capable of using realm magic, magic that affects whole domains.
- Guilder: a Brecht class that serves as a middle-class merchant/trader/adventurer. Strong in skill selection.
|Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Settings|
|Basic D&D:||Mystara (Blackmoor) - Pelinore|
|AD&D:||Birthright - Council of Wyrms - Dark Sun - Dragonlance |
Forgotten Realms (Al-Qadim - The Horde - Icewind Dale - Kara-Tur - Maztica)
Greyhawk - Jakandor - Mystara (Hollow World - Red Steel - Savage Coast)
Planescape - Ravenloft (Masque of the Red Death) - Spelljammer
|3rd/3.5 Edition:|| Blackmoor - Dragonlance - Eberron - Forgotten Realms |
Ghostwalk - Greyhawk (Sundered Empire) - Ravenloft - Rokugan
|4th Edition:||Blackmoor - Dark Sun - Eberron - Forgotten Realms - Nentir Vale|
|5th Edition:||Eberron - Forgotten Realms - Greyhawk - Ravenloft - Ravnica|
|Third Party:|| Dragonmech (3E) - Dragonstar (3E) - Golarion (3E) - Humblewood (5E) |
Kingdoms of Kalamar (2E/3E/4E) - Midgard (3E/4E/5E) - Midnight (3E/4E)
Ptolus (3E) - Rokugan (3E) - Scarred Lands (3E/5E) - Spellslinger (3E)
Wilderlands of High Fantasy (Basic/3E)