Advanced Heroica is an attempt to add depth to the Lego Heroica rules, allowing the game to be played cooperatively between the players to achieve their goals. Advanced Heroica assumes the use of the Epic Heroica and Battle Heroica rules, and expands on both concepts.
Heroes start at level 1, with four health and their normal melee or ranged skill. Heroes earn 1 experience for every monster they defeat, and increase in level for every 5 experience they earn. Gaining a level increases the Hero's current health and maximum health by 1.
New Heroes & WeaponsEdit
- Pikeman – Melee: Deal 1 damage to ALL monsters up to 3 spaces away in a straight line.
- Spear – Melee: Deal 1 damage to ALL monsters up to 2 spaces away in a straight line.
Altered Heroes & WeaponsEdit
- Druid – Ranged: Restore 3 Health to self OR any allied Hero within 3 spaces, even around corners.
- Staff – Ranged: Restore 2 Health to self OR any allied Hero within 3 spaces, even around corners.
Recovery from KOEdit
When recovering from being KO'd, a Hero only needs to regain 4 health to become active again. After recovering 4 health, the Hero is restored to maximum health (3 + level) automatically.
When encountering a monster, combat automatically occurs like normal. However, Heroes do not automatically defeat monsters on success; instead they will deal 1 damage to the monster's health score. If a Hero is using their preferred weapon (see right), they will deal 2 damage instead. If the monster remains undefeated, the Hero then resolves their first strike against each additional monster, and then combat ends for that Hero's turn. On the Hero's next turn, they choose either to fight again, or to run. Fighting again is resolved as before. If the Hero chooses to run, they roll the die:
|2 / skull||player escapes; move 2 spaces|
|3 / sword||player escapes; move 3 spaces|
|1 / skull&sword||monster intercepts; takes 1 damage|
|shield||player defends; deal 1 damage to an adjacent monster, then move 3 spaces|
The Hero's turn ends in any case.
Every monster now has health equal to its strength score. ie.: A strength 2 monster has 2 health.
When designing an adventure, monsters may be given any Hero's special skill in exchange for 2 Strength, or 2 Health, or 1 Strength & 1 Health. Reducing a monster's strength this way does not automatically reduce the monster's starting health.
A monsters Strength and Health can be modified to create a more varied experience. Strength can be raised 1 point at the cost of 1 Health, or Health can be raised 1 point at the cost of 1 Strength. This can be done as many times as the GM wishes, as long as the monster retains at least 1 Health and 1 Strength. Thus, a Monster with Strength 3 and Health 3 could instead be modified to have Strength 5 and Health 1, or Strength 1 and Health 5.
- Strength Potion
- Strength Potions now grant +1 damage for a number of rounds dependent on a dice roll. On the roll of a Shield, the potion lasts for 4 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/3, the potion lasts for 3 rounds. On the roll of a Skull/2, the potion lasts for 2 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/Skull/1, the potion lasts only until the end of the turn.
- Polymorphic Brew (Purple)
- Chose a monster from your Hero Pack, and place them on your Hero's head. Other monsters of that type now recognize your Hero as another of their kind, and combat is not triggered by moving adjacent to, or through, those monsters. While under the effect of the Polymorphic Brew, the Hero may move through monsters of that type just as they would another Hero. Otherwise, the Polymorphic Brew lasts for a number of rounds dependent on a dice roll. On the roll of a Shield, the brew lasts for 4 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/3, the brew lasts for 3 rounds. On the roll of a Skull/2, the brew lasts for 2 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/Skull/1, the brew lasts only until the end of the turn.
- Poisonous Mixture (Green)
- A Poisonous Mixture can be used in place of a Melee skill when a Shield is rolled when fighting monsters, and poisons a single adjacent monster. The poison deals 1 damage at the start of the Hero's turn who used the mixture. The mixture lasts for a number of rounds dependent on a dice roll. On the roll of a Shield, the mixture lasts for 4 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/3, the mixture lasts for 3 rounds. On the roll of a Skull/2, the mixture lasts for 2 rounds. On the roll of a Sword/Skull/1, the mixture only deals the first point of damage.